"The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

Thursday, April 3, 2008

I did it! I really did....and I got the medal, too.



So there it is: the medal.  I have to say it was fabulous to cross the finish line and get handed a medal, just for finishing.  Where else in life do you get that?  I love it!  I'm ready to sign up for the next one.  But truly,  I did more than just finish.   I kept up a physical exercise program for four months. I persevered through the frustration of not losing weight, even though I was exercising.  I persevered through feet that hurt and sweat dripping in places that I don't care to mention.  I talked to myself a lot, but with purpose and effectiveness.  I have grown to love running...on most days, and I enjoy the fact that I seem to breathe much more deeply than I ever have....and I'm sure that has benefits somewhere.  It is great to go out at the end of the day and run under the stars or the early morning before most people are up.  I look forward to continuing the journey and getting up early with my family  on some other day to go to a race -- even if there isn't a medal at the end.  In fact, I'm so excited that I signed up with my cousin to run a mini-triathlon in Chapel Hill, NC in October.  Not only because I'm excited about staying fit but because I know that without a goal ahead of me I'll too easily slip back into my sluggardly ways-- despite my new found love.  Admittedly, while I love the running for all the above reasons and more...our couch is really really comfortable!















1 comment:

jtj3 said...

Yay you!!! I'm a bit behind on my reading, but I'm so glad to see you finished your race! Don't get discouraged about your finishing time, pace, whatever...remind yourself that you WILL improve, and that you're (literally!) miles ahead of everyone who doesn't run!

There's a great quote from John Bingham that applies here: The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start."