"The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Wrong shoes...bad move....

So yesterday I went out for my first run of the week. Though before that, I had to run my son up to preschool and I slipped into my slip-on tennis shoes, thinking I would remember to change them before I went out running. Think again. I came home and went right out for my run, not thinking about my shoes until I was halfway done with my warm-up walk. I almost went home to change shoes, but then decided not to. Bad move: bad shoes, bad run. Boy were my feet miserable! Whereas I was hoping to pull an extra interval, I ended up just barely getting my assigned intervals done...and being happy about it.

So, I will never run in those again....and despite the fact that I have better shoes at home; they really aren't much better in comparison. So what's a beginner to do? I am not ready to sink tons of money into shoes, but at my age I need support for my feet. I'll have to turn to my personal running guru to find out what to get. Honestly, I have no idea how to choose a running shoe. Somewhere in my past I heard Reeboks were the bomb, but really they don't feel that great when I run. Any suggestions from my reading public are welcome. Remember: Beginner, middle-age, not too expensive. I'll think about sinking some real money into shoes after I get through the 8K ; )

1 comment:

Jim said...

Howdy...found your blog from CompleteRunning.com and thought I'd say "hey." Shoes--ugh, that's a complicated subject! I'm flat footed so my choice of shoes is SUPER-important to injury-free running.

My advice--go to a running store, not a sporting goods super store, and see if they can do a gait analysis on you. Most good running stores are staffed by runners, and combine that with gait analysis and they can tell you exactly what you need.

I know the shoes are expensive but DON'T SCRIMP!!! This is, after all, your feet you're talking about. Buy your running clothes somewhere cheap, and don't go for the fancy gadgets, but spend a lot of money on your shoes--it's worth it!

Good luck, and drop by my blog anytime!

Jim